Named for Alva Woods (1794-1887), First President of the University of Alabama, 1831-1837.
Constructed after the Civil War, this gothic revival structure was built of materials salvaged from the original campus, burned by Federal Troops in April 1865. For almost two decades, Woods Hall housed the entire university.
In keeping with the University's Military Governance (1860-1903), "The Barracks" -- as the hall was first designated--was patterned after buildings on the campus of The Virginia Military Institute.
Named in honor of Rev Thomas Alva Woods
First President of the University of Alabama
College of Arts and Sciences
Erected: 1888 Reconstructed: 2002
Designed by Montgomery architect W. A. Crossland and named for noted professor and state geologist Michael Tuomey.
Tuomey's survey resulted in the landmark 1849 geological map of Alabama and his work began the Geological Survey of Alabama.
Tuomey Hall originally housed the University of Alabama's chemistry laboratories and offices for the Geological Survey. From 1926 to 1999, it housed the University's Army Reserve Officer Training Corps program.
On April 27, 2002, rededicated as a Blount Undergraduate Initiative Academic House.
Barganier Davis Sims Architects Associated, Architect
Billy E. Burnett, Inc., General Contractor.
Named in honor of Marten ten Hoor (1890-1967), a Professor of Philsophy who served as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences from 1944-1960.
The building was erected to house the social sciences.
Named for Eugene Allen Smith (1841-1927), University Professor and State Geologist, who served the State in this dual capacity for fifty-four years.
Smith rebuilt the collections of the Alabama Museum of Natural History, which had been destroyed by Federal Troops in 1865. As State Geologist he made an unparalleled contribution to knowledge of the State's mineral resources.
Erected to house the Departments of Music and Speech, the building was named in 1994 in honor of Wilbur. H. Rowand, Chairman of the Music Department (1956-1971), who helped bring the department into national prominence, and T. Early Johnson, who founded the Speech Department in 1931 and served as a member of the University Faculty from 1928 to 1969.
Frank Anthony Rose Hall
Named in honor of
Frank Anthony Rose, B. D., LLD; Litt. D, LHD
President, The University of Alabama
By resolution of the Board of Trustees of The University of Alabama on April 21, 1969 and subsequently authorized by the state legislature of Alabama
Originally erected as the Alabama Student Union building, this edifice was renovated for use by the College of Communication in 1980 and named in honor of J. Reese Phifer in 1991.
Phifer, a Tuscaloosa businessman and philanthropist, and a graduate of the University of Alabama, was unfailingly generous to his alma mater.
College of Arts and Sciences
Named for professor, scientist, and photographer F.A.P. Barnard who pioneered the study of astronomy at The University of Alabama and established its chapter of Phi Beta Kappa in 1851.
On August 26, 2000, rededicated Oliver-Barnard Hall in honor of alumni and friend John T. Oliver Jr., trustee of The University of Alabama, and established as a Blount Undergraduate Initiative Academic House.
During his 28 years on the Board of Trustees (1971-1999), Oliver played a key role in the selection of four chancellors of The University of Alabama System, three University presidents, and seven presidents at sister institutions in Birmingham and Huntsville.
Contractor: N.C. Morgan Construction Co.
Architect: Barganier Davis Sims
Named for Josiah Clarke Nott, M.D. (1804-1873), who founded the University's first medical school in Mobile in 1859.
When the Mobile school was discontinued in 1920, the Trustees opened a new two-year medical program in this building on the Tuscaloosa campus.
In 1945 the Medical School was moved to Birmingham and expanded to create a full School of Medicine.
Named for John Tyler Morgan (1824-1907).
As U.S. Senator, Morgan led the 1882 campaign to obtain federal funds in reparation for the destruction of the University of Alabama campus by Union Troops in 1865.
A member of the Alabama Secession Convention and a Brigadier General in the Confederate Army, Morgan was later (1876) elected to the U.S. Senate, where he became known as "Canal Morgan" for his strong support of a canal across Central America.
Named in honor of Albert Burton Moore
Chairman - History Department 1923-1951
First Dean of the Graduate School 1925-1958
Chairman - Athletic Committee 1941-1958
President - National Collegiate Athletic Association 1951-1952 President - Alabama Historical Association 1951-1952
President - Southern Historical Association 1942
President - Conference of Southern Deans 1938
Named after Stewart J. Lloyd (1881-1959), who served the University for more than four decades, first as Head of the Department of Chemistry (1911-1929) and then as Dean of the School of Chemistry, Metallurgy, and Ceramics (1929-1952).
Erected as a gymnasium for male students, this building was named for WIlliam Gray Little (1873-1938) of Livingston, a transfer student from Phillips Academy, Andover, who introduced football to the University in 1892 — the year the University of Alabama launched its first football team.
Named in honor of
Dr. Shaler C. Houser
Distinguished Professor of Engineering
and Treasurer of the
University of Alabama
Named in honor of Colonel Robert Archelaus Hardaway distinguished engineer and first Professor of Engineering at the University of Alabama
Named for David Bibb Graves (1873-1942), Governor of Alabama (1927-1931, 1935-1939)
A graduate of the University and a member of the institution's first football team (1892), Graves, as governor, strongly supported education. His far-sighted policies benefited the University as well as the entire public school system in Alabama.
Constructed to house the Departments of Mathematics and Psychology, this building was named for Gordon Davis Palmer, Tuscaloosa business and civic leader, who served the University of Alabama as a Trustee from 1940 to 1956.
Named for Landon Cabell Garland (1810-1895), third President of the University of Alabama (1855-1867) and Superintendent of the Alabama Corps of Cadets (1860-1865).
Under the military system Garland instituted, the University served as a training ground for Confederate officers during the Civil War. Considered "The West Point of the South," the University was largely destroyed by federal troops April 3-4, 1865.
A noted Professor of Physics, Astronomy, and Moral Philosophy, Garland later served as Chancellor of Vanderbilt University.
Named for John M. Gallalee (1883-1961), President of the University of Alabama (1947-1953)
Named for Richard Clarke Foster (1895-1941), who, as President of The University of Alabama (1937-1941), raised academic standards and encouraged faculty and graduate research.
Dedicated to the memory of Hill Ferguson, 1877-1971
University of Alabama A.B., 1896; LLB 1897
President of Alumni Society, 1904-1907 and originator of the Greater University Movement of that period
Member of the Board of Trustees and its Executive Committee, 1919-1959
President Protempore of the Board of Trustees, 1947-1959
Home of the University of Alabama School of Law until 1978, this building was named for Albert J. Farrah (1863-1944), who served as Dean of the School from 1913-1944.
Named for James J. Doster (1873-1942), Dean, College of Education (1911-1942).
Originally designed to house Home Economics, Art, and Music, this building was part of the "Women's Campus" developed on the University's southwest side during the early decades of the twentieth century.
Named for Willis G. Clark (1827-1898), Trustee of the University of Alabama (1865-1868, 1876-1898).
Clark, a successful Mobile businessman and newspaper editor, headed two committees for the University: one managed the 46,080 acres of public lands Congress gave the institution in reparation for the 1865 destruction of the campus by federal troops; the other oversaw the enlargement of the new campus.
Clark, Garland, and Manly Halls were designed by W. A. Freret, a prominent New Orleans architect.