Nott Hall, 1922 [removed]



Nott Hall, 1922 [removed]


Named for Josiah Clarke Nott, M.D. (1804-1873), who founded the University's first medical school in Mobile in 1859.
When the Mobile school was discontinued in 1920, the Trustees opened a new two-year medical program in this building on the Tuscaloosa campus.
In 1945 the Medical School was moved to Birmingham and expanded to create a full School of Medicine.


Placed by The University of Alabama

Specific placement information

Removed in 2020; once affixed to the building at upper entrance (west side). On August 5, 2020, the University of Alabama Board of Trustees voted unanimously to rename the building to remove its association with Nott, a slave owner who defended and justified slavery. For contact and permanent location information regarding this retired building plaque, contact: Planroom, Campus Support Services, Building 1003,


33.210217, -87.544175


Item sets